Job interviews can be a big challenge for many people. Many people get anxious, nervous or simply don’t know what to say. Putting time and effort into preparing yourself will make the interview easier on you and increase your chances of getting hired! In this article we’re going to give you some advice on how to prepare for job interviews.
Be an interview athlete
The first thing you want to do is to think about the interview as a “sport”. To be prepared for it, you’ll need to train. The more training you put into it, the better your chances of getting hired! There are many things you can do to prepare yourself.
- Practice answering standard questions like: “What are your strengths?”, “Why should we hire you?” or even simple questions like “Where do you see yourself in five years?”
- Prepare answers for specific questions that might be asked about yourself (like why did you choose this career path?).
- Research the company and find out everything possible about them before going into an interview. This makes it easier for you to answer any question they might ask you about the company.
Dress for success!
The first thing people will see when coming to an interview is how you look. People make judgments about your character based on your appearance, so it’s important that you take time and effort into grooming yourself properly for the interview. Of course everyone has their own style and taste, but there are some general rules of thumb:
- If you’re a man: wear a clean and well ironed shirt (and tie if they require it), dark colored pants and polished shoes; this all needs to be classic in style; save other kinds of clothes like ripped jeans or other accessories for another day! Make sure that your hair doesn’t stick out from the side at weird angles
Understand the scoring system
Most companies use a scoring system when interviewing candidates. This means that they ask you different questions and score your answers based on different criteria, like:
- Your qualifications for the job (education and work experience)
- How well you understand the company
- Whether you’re a nice person, polite and friendly to everyone in the office!
Since there are many possible questions and not all of them will be about your qualifications or how much you know about their company, it’s important to be nice and friendly towards everyone so they remember YOU as an interesting person who is easy to get along with! If people like you, this increases your chances of getting hired!
Practice, Practice, Practice!
In order to increase your chances of getting hired, it’s important that you practice answering the different questions they might ask you. This gives you a chance to think about what kind of answer will work best for this specific question and also gives you a chance to rehearse your answers out loud so that they sound natural when being asked in the interview. You can do this by imagining yourself going through an interview situation or doing a mock interview with someone else as if it were an actual job interview. A good tip is to go back on some of the previous interviews where you’ve been really successful and look at how those people answered those same questions. You’ll already have their advice from those previous experiences!
Getting ready for an interview isn’t always the easiest thing to do. But if you really want the job, all you need to do is make sure that you’re prepared! Follow these simple guidelines and your chances of getting hired will increase drastically. Good luck!